h3. What is universal design?
Getting your design to the WIDEST range possible as is viable in busines
h4. Accessiblity is for
* people with disabilities
h4. people with technical or cultural disadvantages
* Old computers or slow internet connections
* English as a second language
h4. Accessible tech
h4. Nielsen in usability engineering cites 5 factors:
h4. Epicenter design
“Start from the core of the page”
h4. Steve Krug’s Trunk test
If I took a user out of a trunk, will they understand it?
* What site is this
* What is this site for
* …4 more
h4. Tog’s First principals
Fitt’s law – the closer and bigger the target is, the easier it is to hit.
h3. Why is Accesibility important
* by 2020 estimates are 40 million americans will have a visual disabillity
h3. How do we accomodate users?
* Sensory – Standars XHTML+CSS. Transcriptions of podcasts and movies
* Motor – assistive hardare
* Cognitive – not much we can do.
* Cultural – page optimization, alt text (if they turn off images), etc. / standardized access keys etc.